How On Earth…

I have two or three things to say. First, the person who is finding this blog by typing ‘Jenn Ashworth names of children’ into google – stop it. It is odd, and I can guarantee I know more scary people than you do.

Second, if you meet me at a reading, don’t ask me this: ‘how on earth do you plan to write with two children?’* or some version of it. Not unless you’d also ask a man that question. Not unless you’d also ask a doctor, an accountant, a shop assistant, a farmer, a driving instructor etc. It’s rude (my reproductive choices and family set-up are NONE of your business) and it is silly. I do exactly the same as the billions of other parents who work-for-money as well as working-for-love do – I choose a job that has flexible hours (you can’t seriously be telling me writing is more demanding than being a surgeon or a cleaner or a bus-driver or a barrister? Really?) refuse to breed with anyone who doesn’t see parenting as a labour to be shared, and prioritise work and family above other, boring things like television, housework, social outings, spare money and early nights / lies in.

*P.S Yes, this is an announcement. Mr, me and Small Fry will soon be joined by a Little Stranger. As you were.

22 responses to “How On Earth…”

1. Sally Quilford says:

Congratulations! But I don't know how you manage to write with … (okay, am ducking now ;-))

2. Jenn Ashworth says:

*throws wet sponge*

gotcha!

and Thank You πŸ™‚

3. Jacqui says:

Oh my goodness, congratulations!

4. Nik Perring says:

Huge congrats, Jenn!

5. Jenn Ashworth says:

πŸ™‚

6. JJ Beattie says:

Congratulations.

7. Megan says:

Well, Congratulations!! (-:

8. Jon Paul says:

Jenn–Congrats! And yes, I agree. That question is silly.

BTW, I find your blog a great source of inspiration. As a result, there's a little something over at my place for you.

9. green ink says:

Congratulations Jenn!! Small Fry and …Smaller Fry? πŸ˜€ What wonderful news.

10. myshittytwenties says:

I am concerned about the Google thing – I thought the things people used to find my blog were weird, but that is REALLY weird. It will be interesting to see if they stop now…

I thought you might be with child last time I saw you, but you were at the stage when one is too scared to say anything. Congratulations to you all! And ignore the miserable ones, you can have it all but you don't need me to tell you that xx

11. emma says:

Wow. Congratulations Jenn!xx

12. Emma says:

Congratulations Jenn πŸ™‚

13. Sara Crowley says:

Congrats on your lovely news!

14. screamish says:

great news!

nice point about the way nobody asks accountants how they manage to work and have a family at the same time. I wonder why they ask you this? Perhaps they think writing entails Bukowski-like binges of chain smoking and whisky…somewhat incompatible with small kids

15. Dave Hartley says:

Congrats Jenn,

I love the way you segwayed the announcement into a footnote*

and ignore those people who ask such dumb questions if anything I expect its easier to write with children around – more inspiration and all that. Its the way i feel about my hoardes of animals.

all the best with Small Fry 2 and novel 2.

Dave

*Its always the best way to use footnotes

16. Trilby says:

Eeeek! Congratulations, Jenn!

17. Jenn Ashworth says:

Thank you everybody. I was going to keep it to myself for a very long time (like, forever) but it is fairly obvious now when I'm out and about at readings so seemed silly keeping it a secret from my blogging buddies too… πŸ™‚

Dave – I kind of like the idea of Small Fry 2. Small Fry: The Sequel… hmm. thinks thinks.

Screamish – I know what you mean, although if anything is likley to drive you to chain smoking and whiskey it is small kids and not the fairly cushty life of a writer…

Emily – I know what you mean. I was a bit freaked out but maybe it's something and nothing, and maybe I've shamed them into packing it in now. πŸ™‚

Jon Paul – thank you for the award. I never know what to do with them so they all stop with me, I'm afraid – but are very appreciated!

18. Adrian Slatcher says:

Just saw this, Jen. Congrats and good luck with both book and baby sequels.

19. insidethewritersstudio says:

That would be a tiring question to answer.

(However, as someone with no kids, I do have to wonder how someone – man OR woman – with even one child manages to get away…but I promise I won't ask you!)

Just happened by and thought your post was interesting. We without kids get a different kind of question ("Why don't you want kids?") that is equally annoying, but we're certainly never asked how we find the time to write. πŸ™‚

20. Teresa Stenson says:

Aces, Jenn πŸ™‚

And if it's any consolation, someone Googled 'vodka crystalizes in the gut' and found my blog. I have no idea how or why.

21. Brian Keaney says:

Congratulations! And a great post.

22. Fat Roland says:

Congr*

I often get Googlers landing on my blog from text searches for 'Gloria Hunniford's cleavage'. Not image searches. Text searches.

*atulations